Have you read countless Eve mattress reviews but are still undecided on whether it’s the right mattress for you? You’re obviously concerned about mattresses made from petroleum-based chemicals and controversial toxic flame retardants. I hear you! I felt the same way when my family began to explore healthier mattress alternatives. Let’s see if the Eve mattress will meet your needs in my unbiased review.
Are You Concerned Like I Was?
When John and I were looking for a new mattress for us and our toddler Tobias, my research revealed just how toxic conventional memory foam mattresses were for your health. Think about it, when you sleep, all those toxins and chemicals enter the air you breathe whilst you’re sleeping. A mattress lasts 10 years, 365 nights sleep per year…a total of 3650 nights inhaling poor air quality in your bedroom. This caused me great concern as a wife and mom. I guess you feel the same. The Eve mattress wasn’t around when we were looking. I wish it was.
Full Disclosure: We receive a commission if you purchase through this link at no additional cost to you.
Why Does The Eve Mattress Stand Out?
Since I found buying safer mattresses so overwhelming and confusing, I started writing this blog to help others, like you. I trawled through hundreds of reviews from people who have bought an Eve mattress to provide you with this unbiased review. This will save you so much time.
Based on the Eve mattresses reviews I read, here are my top 3 things that make this mattress stand-out for me:
- Each layer of memory foam inside the mattress has been CertiPUR certified and tested for quality;
- It’s breathable, less chance of microbes and mold growing; and
- It’s cooling, regulating your temperature if you where you live gets hot and humid climate.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Healthier Eve Mattress
Choosing a mattress low in toxins gives your family a healthier sleep environment, one that’s less likely to expose them to potentially harmful substances. Conventional mattresses use a combination of chemicals to process and treat their mattresses. The Eve mattress is lower in toxins and chemicals but it’s not 100% free of them. It’s neither a natural or organic mattress. Think of it as a much healthier and safer version of a conventional memory foam mattress.
The Eve mattress is not as expensive as a natural or organic mattress but it’s not a cheap mass-produced memory foam mattress you can pick up at any local mattress store. A quality and Certi-PUR-certified memory foam mattress with fewer toxins and chemicals is an investment in your sleep experience.
If you don’t like or are allergic to polyester, just a heads up that the mattress cover is a blend of polyester and dorlastan.
If you try the mattress and don’t like it, don’t worry. The Eve mattress is covered by a 100-night trial when you order directly from Eve.
Do you know what size mattress you need? Whether you need a California King or just a twin size mattress, Eve offers a range of sizes beyond the standard queen (80 x 60 x 10 inches). Their twin is sized at 75 x 39 x 10 inches, while the California King measures 75 x 54 x 10 inches. You can refer to my Common Guide to Mattress Sizes in the U.S. if you need to.
After reading many Eve mattresses reviews, here’s a very quick summary of the features:
- Firm surface that supports back, side, and front sleepers
- Suitable for children ages 3 and up, teenagers, and adults
- Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King sizes with the option to custom-order a particular size based on the measurements you provide
- Suits sleepers with back and body pain
- Allergen-free materials with a hypoallergenic outer cover
- Conforms to CertiPUR off-gassing and toxicity requirements
- No formaldehyde, carcinogens or harmful chemicals
- Complies with British fire safety standards
- Oeko-Tex certified cover
- Naturally dust mite resistant memory foam
- Naturally anti-microbial memory foam
- 100-day sleep trial when purchased directly via Eve mattress website
- Free pickup and removal if you decide to return your mattress within 100-days
- 30-day return window when purchased via Amazon, due to their refund policies
- 10-year product guarantee included free of charge
- Made in the UK and shipped across the globe
- 7-day delivery guarantee within the US when ordering via the Eve website
- One-size mattress thickness, 10 inches, to allow for standard sheet fit
- Three foam layers plus an outer cover
- High-density foam base layer for support and durability
- Open-celled foam middle layer for air flow, responsiveness, and durability
- Memory foam top layer for body support without getting “stuck”
- Cooling top layer for comfortable sleep
- Hand-sewn outer cover.
If you typically wake up drenched in sweat on your current mattress, Eve’s memory foam layer’s cooling properties could reduce the night sweats and keep you more comfortable.
Why Is The Eve Mattress Different?
Following massive online sales success, Eve has earned a following from not only consumers looking for affordable mattresses, but also memory foam naysayers. Holding their place in the memory foam mattress market, Eve ranks highly for inexpensive and accessible sleep options.
The team behind Eve includes designers, mattress engineers, logistics experts, and e-commerce techies. They not only manufacture mattresses but offer speedy delivery and a comprehensive customer service response. Many Eve mattress reviews note that customer service is quick and helpful. Purchasing a mattress is an important decision, so it’s good to know that there’s a team who stands behind this brand and is willing to field endless customer questions.
The Combination of Foam Layers
As far as construction, Eve uses three foam layers to create a supportive yet firm mattress surface. One criticism of conventional memory foam mattresses is that when you lie on it, you get that sinking feeling – like you are in quicksand! Based on the Eve mattress reviews I saw, this mattress won’t suck you in. Instead, it will conform to any body shape for your comfort. The bottom layer gives support to the mattress, while the middle layer offers a somewhat spongy center sandwiched between the top and bottom layers. This middle layer allows air flow and absorbs impact.
Lastly, the top memory foam layer has a cooling top that prevents overheating. The main complaint with standard memory foam mattresses is that they hold heat, so the Eve mattress engineers overhauled their foam material to keep temperatures low.
Eve mattress in a child’s bedroom Image Source
Your conventional memory foam mattress manufacturer likes using foam made from petroleum products. It’s cheap. It’s easy to produce. Standard mattresses may contain toxic chemicals. It can also “off gas” or give off a very chemical-like odor when unpackaged from the box. This has been known to give people headaches if the mattress isn’t given enough time to air.
The Eve mattress company has gone to the trouble of investing in two certifications that is really good news for people like us looking for a healthier and safer memory foam mattress:
- The Eve mattress cover is Oeko-Tex certified. Oeko-Tex is a European certification used in the textiles industry to assure against off-gassing and sustainable supply chain; and
- Certi-PUR means you can feel good about the memory foam you are sleeping on.
Why is the Eve Mattress Safe to Sleep On?
Apart from the certifications I mentioned above, there are some more reasons this mattress is safe to sleep on.
The foam layers are naturally resistant to dust mites and microbes, so your Eve mattress holds fewer household germs than a typical mattress.
Apart from that “sinking feeling”, another criticism of memory foam mattress is that it “sleeps hot“. Because the memory foam is so dense and lacks ventilation, your body heats stays trapped inside the mattress, making you suffer in warm months. Any sweat gets absorbed into the mattress which, over time, can create odors and cause bacteria to grow inside the mattress.
Image purchased from depositphotos.com. No credits required. No copyright infringement.
In contrast, the memory foam in the Eve mattress has patented open cell technology in the breathable cooling layer. Those open cells create ventilation to the extent that this mattress is 30 times more breathable than your conventional memory foam mattress.
Why is Mattress Construction So Important?
In reading about how our beds affect our sleep, I found a study that discusses how participants’ back pain and sleep quality improved when they slept on new beds. Check if it’s time to replace your old mattress by reading my blog post here.
If you’ve been putting off buying a new bed, your old bed might be negatively impacting your health and stress levels! Mattress construction, and particularly memory foam mattress construction, changes rapidly as new advances are made. Eve’s new design comes with added improvements over older mattress styles.
Apart from the cover, all the layer are made from memory foam. Memory foam is naturally anti-microbial and dust mite resistant, so there’s less yuck inside your mattress to irritate sensitive noses.
The Top Layer
The top layer of an Eve mattress is its outer cover. This cover is hand-made in the UK. It’s Oeko-Tex certified.
The First Layer of Foam
Being the top layer of foam that your body comes into contact with, this layer is the pressure relieving layer. Its Certi-PUR certified which means you are breathing in fewer toxins compared to a normal memory foam mattress.
The Second Layer of Foam
The middle layer is open-celled foam, which lets air flow through the mattress. It’s also a little bouncy, creating movement within the mattress’s construction. This layer allows the top level of foam to move, without making it feel like a water bed! This layer is Certi-PUR certified.
The Final Layer of Foam
The final foam layer is next-generation memory foam, engineered for body support without acting like quicksand. It caters to your body’s shape, but it won’t pull you in. Instead, it bounces back when you move or change positions. This memory foam also lends the mattress its cooling properties, so you enjoy a restful night’s sleep without overheating. This layer is Certi-PUR certified as well.
How Much Support is Provided?
The layered construction gives the Eve mattress supportive but firm surfaces.
Not too firm and not too soft, Eve’s mattresses land in the sweet spot between a rock and a fluffy place.
The majority of Eve mattress reviews I read said that the mattresses are firm but forgiving, accommodating a variety of sleeping positions. Many reviews described reduced pain after switching to an Eve mattress and praised the supportive surface.
Low energy transfer is a perk of memory foam beds, and reviewers of the Eve mattress noted that there are no waves of movement with this mattress. So, when your bed partner tosses and turns or frequently wakes at night, your sleep won’t be disturbed.
Can You Trust Eve?
Eve is a UK-based company with a history of selling across the US and the entire globe. The business originated in 2011 with friends Jas and James and their original affordable mattress sales concept. The team grew as more experts joined the company, and now there are over 80 employees.
Eve Sleep co-founders Image Source
By their count, Eve has sold over 75,000 mattresses since opening their doors. Management spent twelve years engineering mattresses and began selling them. Following customer feedback about the heat and elastic properties of memory foam, the Eve team designed foam that’s cooler and more responsive.
The Eve team purposely avoids describing their mattress concept with a label of firmness, since customer feedback has taught them that the sleep experience is so subjective. Their goal is to produce mattresses that aren’t too expensive for the general market, but which surpass customer expectations for comfort.
Pros and Cons
- Standard sizes, plus option for customization to fit any lifestyle
- One depth (10”) to accommodate standard sized sheets
- Conforming memory foam suits sleepers with back and body pain
- Reduces allergic reactions with non-toxic materials and hypoallergenic surface
- Certi-PUR certification ensures a safer memory foam mattress from an indoor air quality perspective
- Oeko-Tex certified hand-made cover reduces toxins directly below your sheets
- Naturally dust mite resistant for less dust in your sleep area
- Naturally anti-microbial to prevent germ growth
- 100-day sleep trial with money back guarantee
- Three foam layers for responsiveness, bounce, and comfort
- Engineered top layer memory foam with cooling feature to prevent overheating
- The mattress is one-sided, so it doesn’t require flipping. Rotate it every 30 days for the first year that you sleep on it so that it holds its shape.
- Suitable for sleepers up to a weight of 252 pounds, or couples with a total weight of 504 pounds
- Regular delivery from Eve takes seven days, but for faster shipping, you can purchase with Amazon Prime membership. However, the 100-day sleep trial does not apply to Amazon purchases. When buying on Amazon, you must follow their 30-day return policy, even on Eve products.
- The mattress reportedly has a strong odor immediately after opening. The smell tends to dissipate after time, and because of Eve’s non-toxic certifications, we know that this odor is not a result of chemical ingredients.
- May be too firm for sleepers who are used to traditional memory foam mattresses with the “sinking” feeling.
- Need to allow for the mattress to expand after unpacking. Recommended to wait four or five hours before using, but can take up to 24 hours to fully puff up.
Not For You?
Not sure the Eve mattress is soft enough for you? Contact Eve directly for a mattress topper to soften things up.
Considering a base to go with your new mattress? Recommended bases for the Eve memory foam mattress include a slatted foundation with 3” or smaller gaps, or a platform bed with a solid surface. A box spring is not ideal for use with a memory foam mattress, since it may affect the feel of the mattress.
Still don’t think Eve is the right mattress for you? or maybe you want to compar
e and shop around some more. Consider these other healthier alternatives to typical mattresses:
- Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress
- LUCID 14 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress
- Tuft & Needle Mattress.
With the Eve mattress, I was happy to find a middle ground between expensive natural mattresses vs affordable more health-conscious memory foam mattresses.
Eve is not only engineered with comfortable sleep in mind but is certified with less harmful toxins and chemicals compared to your typical memory foam mattress. Reducing the toxins in our homes is a key part of offering our son a healthy environment, so my husband and I appreciate this aspect of Eve the most.
Avoiding dangerous chemicals and additives, plus keeping allergens out of your sleep surface, ensures a peaceful sleep free of worries. Quick delivery, whether you purchase directly from Eve or via Amazon, and a flexible return policy makes it easy to test out an Eve mattress to see if it’s the right fit for you.
Full Disclosure: We receive a commission if you purchase through this link at no additional cost to you.