You’ve probably heard that traditional memory foam mattresses can make you feel hot when sleeping on this kind of surface. If you already a sleep hot, this can make for sleepless nights in unbearable hot weather. The Lucid 14 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress has a ventilated design. This lets more air pass through, which in turn helps to keep you from sleeping on a mattress that is way too hot. Also, the memory foam is infused with gel, which not only adds to the cooling but also helps to give you, even more, support than regular memory foam. Let’s see if the Lucid Plush 14 Inch mattress is right for you.
I chose to review the Lucid 14 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress because it’s very popular. It has over 400 reviews on Amazon.com. Being CertiPUR certified, it’s made with a higher quality foam that’s better for your long term health and comes with a 25-year limited warranty. Let’s take a look at what the Lucid Plush 14 Inch mattress has to offer you.
The Price of the Lucid 14 Inch Mattress
Let’s be honest, mattresses are an expensive investment. You need to be sure you are getting exactly what you need, at a price you can afford. That’s why I write such detailed reviews here at Better Bed Solutions to ensure you know exactly what you are buying before you decide to buy or not to buy. Some memory foam mattresses can cost up to $3,000. The average American spends $1700 on a mattress…I wish I could remember where I read that (maybe I need more sleep!).
The Lucid 14 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress is priced under $500 for the queen-size. I wanted to let you know this earlier in the review, so you could make a decision on whether to keep reading because I know your time is valuable. If that kind of price is OK, the rest of the review will examine what kind of value you get with that money you spend.
- Dual memory foam layers over a supportive base layer.
- One-inch bamboo charcoal memory foam that has been quilted to make a soft, Tencel-blend cover.
- Ventilated design increases airflow so you don’t sleep hot.
- CertiPUR-US certified for safety.
- 25-year limited manufacturer warranty.
- Open cell memory foam is responsive and compresses evenly across all pressure points.
Who Should Sleep on this Mattress?
If you love a super-soft mattress, this just might be the best choice for you. That’s why is called “plush”. On a firmness scale of 1-10, the LUCID rates about a 3. This is a great mattress for anyone who is lighter in weight, or who loves a soft mattress. If you are heavier (more than 140 pounds), or you need more support and prefer a firmer mattress, this may not be the best option for you.
Why Is This Mattress Healthier Than A Traditional Memory Foam Mattress?
Spoiler alert…all memory foam are derived from petroleum. That means it’s made from a synthetic material and contains chemicals. That’s a negative. If you want a mattress sourced from more natural materials, look at bamboo, latex, eco-friendly, natural or organic alternatives. On the plus side, memory foam mattresses are considered comfortable (especially if you have joint issues) and very affordable. But I’m getting off topic. How could a mattress made from memory foam possibly be healthy?
Higher quality memory foam mattresses, like the Lucid Plush 14 Inch mattress, has been certified by an independent third party as free of a lot of harmful chemicals that can be found in other memory foam mattresses. This is what is meant by being Certi-PUR certified.
Here are the other reasons why the Lucid 14 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress is healthier that your traditional (and cheaper) memory foam mattresses:
- It’s hypo-allergenic
- It’s resistant to dust mites. This is really important if you are allergic to dust mites like I am.
Both of these features will help you to breathe a lot easier at night.
You will find the covers of other memory foam mattress made with 100% polyester, another synthetic material. The Lucid Plush 14 Inch is a little different. Although 90% of it is made with polyester, 10% is made from Tencel (lyocell) which is extracted from natural bamboo fibers. The benefits of this cover?
- Softer, more comfortable;
- Great if you have sensitive skin;
- More breathable or ventilated, keeping you cooler at night. Plus it will reduce the likelihood that mold and bacteria spores will breed and grow and controls odors.
The other health benefits that I will cover next are the comfort and support provided.
How Does Mattress Construction Impact Comfort and Support?
This LUCID mattress is 14 inches thick, and is made up of four layers:
- Top Layer – This is the cooling layer. It is a one-inch bamboo charcoal memory foam layer that is super-soft so you feel like you are sleeping on a cloud.
- Second Layer – This is the support layer. It is made from three inches of memory foam that provides support and pressure relief.
- Third Layer – This is the transitional and bounce layer. The two inches of natural latex gives the mattress its bounce and responsiveness to your body when sleeping.
- Bottom Layer – The base layer is 10 inches of high-density foam that gives the mattress a foundation that is strong and stable.
What Is The Comfort and Support Like?
Three of the main things to look for in a mattress are firmness, comfort, and support. If you weigh more than 140-150 pounds, your body will sink into a mattress that is too soft, and you won’t get the support that you need. If you like a medium-firmness, a mattress like the Lucid Plush 14 Mattress fits the bill based on all the reviews I read. It rates about a 6 on a firmness scale of 1-10, with 10 being the firmest.
The Lucid mattress is considered comfortable, by all customer accounts. There is not a lot of sinkage in the first few months as there is with other foam mattresses, and it should continue to provide plenty of support at the pressure points for many years to come.
Unboxing of the Lucid 14 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress
Once your order is placed, this mattress will ship directly to your door. All you have to do is open the box, take out the mattress, remove the protective wrapping, and watch it expand to its full size.
You will notice a strong smell. This is known as off-gassing. It is common to all memory foam mattresses that come compressed and rolled tight to in a plastic cover for transportation. It will go away in a week to 10 days.
How to get rid of the odor?
- Release the mattress from its plastic wrapping and let it lie flat or upright against a wall to air
- If you can, place the mattress where it can get some sun.
You may want to avoid sleeping on the mattress for the first few days until you notice that there is no remaining odor.
Pros and Cons
- Four inches of memory foam supports your pressure points and joints
- Free shipping. Your mattress will arrive within 2-7 business days
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
- 25-year warranty
- Try Lucid Plush 14 for 30 nights to see if it is right for you
- Cooling properties with the 10% Tencel cover and gel infused memory foam.
- The off-gassing creates a short-term unpleasant odor for the first week or so
- Some customers have reported sinkage in the areas where they sleep after using this mattress for a few months
- There are reports that it is not as plush as the manufacturer claims but you can try it for 30 days to find out if it’s right for you.
If you are looking for a quality memory foam mattress at a reasonable price, check out the Lucid 14 Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress. If you’re looking for a healthier version of a memory foam mattress with a plusher, softer feel, then this mattress should go on your list to investigate further. I really liked the ventilated cover and the gel-infused memory foam features for the hot sleeper.
I hope you found this review useful!