The Casper sleep mattress is one of the most popular foam mattresses around. There are plenty of reviews for the Casper Mattress but do you have time to read them all? Will you find the Casper mattress firmness comfortable? Is the Casper mattress toxic? What is the Casper mattress return experience like? Is this the right mattress for you? Let’s find out.
Did you know there are nearly 10,000 customer reviews for the Casper mattress between the Casper mattress website and Amazon.com? Wow! Now I know that no-one has time to sift through 10,000 individual Casper bed reviews, so this product review answers some common questions like:
- Is the Casper mattress toxic?
- What is the Casper mattress firmness like?
- If you don’t like the mattress, what is the Casper mattress return experience like?
I don’t want to waste your time, so let’s cover the pros and cons of this mattress, based on the many reviews of the Casper mattress.
Pros and Cons of the Casper Sleep Mattress
- Was designed to suit all sleeper types – side, back and stomach.
- This mattress was rated excellent in durability tests by various independent evaluators including Sleepopolis and Consumer Reports. (NOTE: Sleepopolis was sold in July of 2017. They haven’t changed any of their reviews as of the time when I wrote this).
- Because this mattress is only 10” high, you can purchase normal sized sheets and won’t have to look for “deep pocket” sheets like with some larger memory foam mattresses.
- Is the Casper mattress toxic? It does not contain toxic flame retardant chemicals.
- You don’t have to flip it regularly like the old inner spring mattresses.
- Risk-free 100-night trial.
- The mattress is assembled in the USA.
- There are no handles on the mattress or the box it arrives in. So it may be a bit awkward trying to wrangle it.
- There is one firmness level to suit all sleeper types and this may put off some people.
- Casper source some of the materials that go inside the mattress from overseas. They dont’ specify where.
Who Is This Mattress Best Suited To?
- The Casper mattress firmness suits side sleepers the best.
- If you weigh under 250 pounds.
- If you and your partners weigh under 450 pounds in total.
- If you have chemical sensitivities to the typical toxic fire retardants or normal amounts of Volatile Organic Compounds and other unhealthy chemicals found in your traditional memory foam mattress, the Casper mattress is for you.
Why Is This Mattress Different?
The Casper Sleep Mattress is a 4-layer foam construction providing support and bounce with a cooling top layer made of an open-cell hypoallergenic latex.
Is The Casper Mattress Toxic?
All the Casper mattress materials (foams) inside the mattress have environmental certifications ensuring they are safe and non-toxic. And every layer is CertiPUR certified.
CertiPUR-US® approved foams are made without:
- Ozone depleters
- PBDE flame retardants
- Lead and other heavy metals
- Phthalates regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The Casper mattress materials are also low in VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).
Casper uses a water-based adhesive to bind the 4 layers of foam together inside the mattress. This glue is less toxic than other memory foam manufacturers.
Why Is The Layering Of Foams So Important?
You want to know how the foams inside a mattress are layered for 2 reasons>
- What are the foams up towards the top of the mattress made of? These foams will be the closest to your skin, nose and mouth, so you want to ensure the exposure to allergens and chemical emissions into the air are minimized;
- How are the materials layered to deliver the comfort and support you need.
|Cover||n/a||Cover||Polyester blends with zipper||Keep clean|
|Top||1.5 inches||Comfort layer||Responsive poly foam||Provides comfort, cooling and bounce|
|Memory||1.5 inches||Memory Foam||Synthetic Latex foam used to provide support and pressure relief||Prevents heat retention and provides more support|
|Poly||1.5 inches||Support foam||Transitional poly foam layer||Provides softer transition to the base foam|
|Bottom||5 inches||Support layer||Support poly foam||Provides support and durability|
|Total Thickness||9.5 inches|
Table 1 The mattress construction – Casper
The Casper has four layers. Excluding the cover, this is made up of the Comfort Layer, Transition Layer and Support or Core Layer. This layering is very deliberate. The individual layers all play a role to make the mattress supportive. For example, most mattresses will have a comfort layer on top to keep you cool and cushioned. And there will be a bottom core layer to provide stability and longevity.
Casper mattress firmness
Firmness is quite subjective.
From the Casper bed reviews I found, there were some people who felt the Casper sleep mattress quite firm, and others who feel it’s not that firm. For example, the Sleepopolis mattress review site rated the Casper mattress firmness as a 6.5 out of 10 which is fairly firm for a memory foam mattress.
There is only one level of firmness. Another popular mattress that has created a single mattress to suit everyone is the Tuft and Needle mattress.
Even though Casper claims their mattress is firm, from the reviews of the Casper mattress that I read, most people felt it was softer than what they considered to be a firm mattress.
In determining the firmness you want, here are some tips:
- You may not want to compare it to your current mattress. Let’s say you’ve had an innerspring mattress for over eight years and are looking for something better for your back. The innerspring mattress will feel very different than when you first purchased it due to wear and tear.
- Ask yourself if you still like the same firmness as you did a few years ago. As we age, we need a softer mattress to cushion our points and keep our spine aligned.
If you are unsure if the Casper mattress firmness will suit you, try it for 100 nights and then return it. I will talk about the Casper return experience later in my detailed review.
What kind of sleeper does this product suit?
The one level of Casper mattress firmness was designed to suit the widest variety of sleeper types.
|Sleeper type||Very good for side sleepers and good for back and stomach sleepers|
|Sleeper age||Ages 5 to adult|
|Sleeper needs||This mattress is good for people with hip, neck, back and knee problems as well as anyone who likes to sleep on this type of mattress.|
|Sizes||Twin, Twin XL, double (full), queen, king, California king|
Sleep positions may determine your personality. Image source.
Be prepared for a change
It may take a while for you to adapt to anything new in your life. Mattresses are no different.
If you have been sleeping on an innerspring or latex mattress for years and want to try a memory foam mattress like the Casper, give yourself time to “break in” your mattress. It will feel like a very different surface to sleep on at first.
At the end of sleeping on a new memory foam mattress for 30 nights straight, your body should be starting to adapt to the feel of memory foam. So definitely take advantage of the 100 night trial that Casper offers. If you are not happy, follow the return process and get your money back.
How Does This Mattress Provide Better Comfort?
Casper did a ton of research and development into making a great mattress. They ran thermal imaging tests and sweat tests to make sure their foam mattress would sleep cool.
They developed a breathable comfort foam layer to offset the memory foam layer underneath to keep things cool and comfortable.
If you tend to sleep hot, have a read of this blog post for useful tips about how to stop overheating in bed.
How To Make Your Mattress Last Longer?
A memory foam mattress costs a significant chunk of money for something that will last 5-8 years.
Here are a few tips to make your Casper mattress last longer.
Casper specifies a weight restriction on their mattresses for a reason.
Keep the weight under 250 pounds for 1 person sleeping in this bed or a combined weight of under 450 pounds, to make your Casper mattress last longer than if both of you weigh more than 450 pounds combined.
Rotate your mattress
The Casper mattress is one-sided. Although you can’t flip the mattress to make it last longer, you can rotate it.
Although Liz in the video above recommends rotating your mattress every 6 months, I have a different view.
- Rotate your mattress once a month for the first 3 months of its life whilst it is brand new
- Then rotate every 3 months as the seasons change.
Rotating your mattresst regularly like this can be helpful if you and your partner are of different sizes. It gives the foam some recovery time and will last longer without sags.
How versatile is this mattress?
Casper designed it with the intention that it would be comfortable for the majority of people. And if you’re not one of them, then they made it easy to return.
Casper does sell mattress toppers which can adjust the firmness or softness as well as the cooling ability. They are more for putting on top of your existing mattress.
So, is this versatile. Not exactly. It’s not one size fits all, but more along the lines of providing a quality product, and if it matches your preferences, then great. If not, no hard feelings.
Can You Trust Casper?
Casper has been in business at least 3 years based in New York City, New York.
They’re rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
There are so many reviews for the Casper mattress online. Some of the sources of those reviews include:
- Google Reviews. Casper is 4.9 on Google Review
- Google Trusted Score rates Casper a 4.9 out of 5 stars.
- Trust Pilot gives Casper 8.3 out of 10 stars. TrustPilot.com is a global online review community.
- Amazon.com and Aoazmon.co.uk. Casper receives 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com.
- The consumer advocate and independent research organization ConsumerReports.org rated the Casper Sleep mattress as a Best Buy and gave it an overall score of 79 out of 100.
And Casper make a matching dog mattress. How cute is that?
What Is the Unboxing Experience Like?
You receive the mattress in a large box and will need to carefully open the box and slide out the mattress. It will be compressed and rolled inside of plastic.
Casper provides a tool to help you safely open up the plastic without ripping the mattress.
You’ll move the mattress roll onto the foundation. Then carefully open up and remove the plastic covering and let the mattress inflate to its normal size.
Then you can maneuver it into position and make the bed.
What Else Can You Buy Besides the Sleep Mattress?
Casper offers a full line of products including pillows, sheets, mattress covers and duvets. You can also purchase a fixed foundation as well as an adjustable foundation. Finally, they have created a dog sized foam mattress.
What Alternative Mattresses Are Out There?
They all are a blend of foam and memory foam with different levels of foundation, firmness, bounce and coolness.
All of these brands promote that they’re Certi-PUR certified. None of them claim to use organic cotton. And all use a silica sock underneath the cover to snuff out fires instead of using chemicals.
All About The Warranty
Casper offers a 10 year limited warranty covering defects in the material and the workmanship.
- Deterioration causing the mattress to have a visible indentation greater than one inch that is not associated with an indentation or sag resulting from improper or unsupportive foundation or adjustable bed base.
- Any physical flaw in the mattress that causes the foam material to split or crack despite normal usage and proper handling
- Any manufacturing defect in the zipper on the mattress cover.
It does not include
- Normal increase in the softness of the foam pressure-relieving material which doesn’t affect the pressure-relieving qualities of the mattress.
- Comfort preference
- Physical abuse or damage to the structure and/or cover material including but not limited to burns, cuts, tears, liquid damage or stains provided that the defect is caused by abuse or damage.
- Replacement of any non-defective pieces in the Casper sleep system
- Any mattress sold by resellers who are not authorized retailers
- Mattresses sold as-is, preconditioned, reconditioned, used, comfort return, returned, previously owned or any similar wording indicating the mattress is not new.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Casper mattress smell?
Just know there will be some smell associated with opening it up because of the plastic and the process for compressing and rolling the mattress. It should go away in a well aerated room fairly quickly. From the Casper bed reviews I read, this smell wasn’t overwhleming.
Are there chemical fire retardants inside the Casper mattress?
No, the Casper mattress does not contain any flame retardant chemicals. Their flame retardant is a proprietary woven silica sock that’s just under the cover. In the event of a fire, this sock melts on itself suffocating all the oxygen needed for the fire to burn.
Can you try before you buy?
Yes! Casper offers a post-purchase, risk-free 100-night trial. If you don’t want to keep the mattress, they will send a courier over to remove the mattress. Casper then donates to a local charity if they can, and recycles it if they can’t.
And that includes sheets, pillows, duvets, bed frames and everything else they sell as well.
If you live near New York or Los Angeles, you can go to their stores and actually try it out.
Does the Casper mattress smell?
All new mattresses smell when first opened up. The smell should dissipate within a few hours in a well ventilated room.
Is the Casper mattress toxic?
From the Casper website:
All Casper foams are all CertiPUR® CertiPUR® certified, requiring that they are made without formaldehyde, ozone depleters, mercury, lead, and other heavy metals. It also requires the foam to have low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions for indoor air quality (less than 0.5 parts per million).
So, in a nutshell, no. The mattress does not harm the environment.
Does Casper remove your old mattress?
Casper will offer to dispose of your mattress if you live in one of their White Glove delivery markets. You will have to contact them to verify if you are.
They recommend seeing if a local charity like Salvation Army will pick it up and repurpose it if the mattress is still in good enough shape. Otherwise, you will need to hire someone to take it away.
What is the Casper return experience like?
If during the 100-day trial you determine that the mattress or foundation just aren’t your thing, contact their support via website chat or phone. They’ll schedule a courier to pick it up.
So who picks it up? They’ll work with you to arrange a pickup through a local charity or recycling partner and refund you in full any cost incurred.
With all of the other products, you can get a UPS return shipping label from Casper, and use that to send things back. You will need to provide your own box. And you will need to drop off the box at your local UPS place.
Refunds will be credited back to your account within two weeks.
Can I place it on my old box spring?
Yes. You need some kind of foundation to place the mattress on. You can use platform beds, box springs, and slats that are closer than 4” apart.
If you only have a metal frame, Casper recommends putting a piece of plywood down between the frame and the mattress. This will provide the firm support that a foam mattress requires.
Can I use the mattress in my sofa bed?
It’s not recommended. The foam mattress will not withstand being folded up for periods of time. And the act of folding up the mattress will damage the materials inside the mattress.
What is the best platform for the Casper mattress?
They would probably say it’s one of their own. But the best foundation is one that’s going to provide a solid base for the mattress to lay on.
Are the mattresses they sell in the UK a different size?
No. Casper only manufactures their mattress to North American standards.
Where Can You Buy A Casper Mattress?
You can purchase directly from the company, and you can purchase on Amazon. They just recently started offering Casper mattresses on Amazon.uk! So that’s great news for those in the UK.
The Casper sleep mattress may seem to be middle-of-the-road trying to make as many people comfortable as possible. That doesn’t’ mean they’re average at all. The designers have ensured that it is a good mattress for large and small people. And they even made mattresses for your pets.
The mattress is safe for you and the environment. And it’s available from Amazon in North America and the UK. There’s a good reason that this is such a well loved mattress. It’s comfortable and provides the right amount of support for your neck, back and hips.
Plus, Casper is full service. You can purchase quality sheets, pillows and other bedding from them which are all part of the 100-day try before you buy guarantee.
You can’t go wrong trying them out.