After yet another awful night’s sleep, my husband and I decided that enough was enough — something had to change. Our first line of attack was to change our mattress, so, ever the savvy shopper, I went online to do some research. I really didn’t know what I was letting myself in for. Several hours and dozens of websites and reviews later, I had gained an encyclopaedic knowledge of the world of bedding, and felt ready to go back to bed! Our criteria were that the new mattress is natural and toxin free, affordable, and, if possible, kind to the environment. Other than that, what we really needed was a satisfying night’s sleep. The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress caught my attention. What is a green tea mattress? Does it intrigue you? Check out my Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review to see if this mattress would suit your needs.
Before I start my Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review, I wanted to get to the heart of why I chose the Zinus Green Tea Mattress to write about. We were dead-set on finding a less toxic mattress, after learning last year that conventional mattresses often contain harmful chemicals like formaldehyde and antimony! These chemicals are a particular risk to children, and we wanted to make sure our son wasn’t being exposed to anything nasty in his sleep.
The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress is made from Biofoam, which uses natural plant oil to replace some of the traditional petroleum base. Biofoam is one of Zinus’ many patents, and what it means is that 5-10% of the petroleum based polyols that make up normal memory foam has been replaced with natural plant oils. This may not seem like a lot, but even with current technology, petroleum is still necessary to make viable memory foam. For me Biofoam is an opportunity to buy a healthier version of memory foam vs traditional memory foam which is 100% synthetic. Zinus are trying to reduce their use of non-renewables. I found in my Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review that the memory foam is also CertiPUR-US certified, meaning that it is certified as having been made without the harmful chemicals, like formaldehyde.
Much of the customer feedback I read to prepare my Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review also pointed out the affordability of this mattress. This is something which surprised me too. The fact that the price also includes free delivery means that for anyone on a budget this is the ideal purchase. And in this case, fortunately, the cheap price tag doesn’t mean any lesser quality.
If we bought a Zinus Green Tea Mattress, we would go for the Queen size (80” X 60”), to fit our existing bed frame. It comes in 8”, 10” and 12” thickness options. Want to know more about mattress depth? Read my article What You Need To Know About Mattress Depth. We’d buy the 12” as we are used to a softer and thicker mattress. The 8” version is engineered for those who prefer a firm bed and the 10” for those who want something in the middle. A twin size (39” X 75”), full double (54” X 75”) and California king (72” X 84”) are all also available in this model. For your convenience, you can refer to my Guide to Common Mattress Sizes in the U.S.
Image supplied courtesy of Zinus Mattress
Zinus Memory Foam Mattress Review – Feature Overview
Here’s an extensive list of features of the Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress. I will be covering the benefits of most of these features later on in my Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review.
- Biofoam memory foam uses less petroleum in production.
- Four layers of high-quality foam. (The 10” and 8” mattresses have three layers).
- 3 thicknesses available – 8”, 10” and 12”.
- Suitable for sleepers of all ages.
- Priced under $200
- Ten-year warranty.
- 30 day return period, so you get to try it out in your own home.
- Free delivery in less than seven business days (within the USA).
- Delivered rolled up in a convenient box, just unwrap the packaging and watch your new mattress expand to its full size.
- Easy to order through the website.
- Produced in China, shipped from California.
- Jacquard knit stretches in all directions, allowing the sleeper to get the full comfort of the foam. It’s removable and washable.
- Zinus have 25 years of experience making mattresses.
- The mattress is one-sided, so won’t require flipping.
- Fits standard queen size bed frame size.
- Zinus also offer a diverse range of bases to match this mattress, including simple frames and box springs.
- High-density foam base layer gives solid support.
- Uses cutting-edge technology to ensure a comfortable sleep surface.
- Comfort foam layer is designed with holes throughout to promote the circulation of air.
- Two bottom layers use and egg-carton design to allow air circulation.
- Available in twin, full double, queen size and California king size.
Why Is Zinus Different?
Zinus itself has been in the business of creating great beds for over 25 years, so they know what they’re doing. They have won several awards for their products, and dedicate a lot of time and effort to research and development. Looking at their website, it’s clear that they pride themselves on their innovation and pioneering sleep technology. At the same time, they are conscious of and diligent about the ingredients that they use, as illustrated by their use of Biofoam.
Why Is The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Healthier Than A Normal Memory Foam Mattress?
Being CertiPUR-US certified means that toxic chemicals like formaldehyde are not used in the production of Zinus’ foam. The mattresses have been independently tested for indoor emissions, meaning you won’t be breathing in any chemical residue.
Zinus’s foam, Biofoam, is also infused with natural ingredients, such as green tea extract and all-natural charcoal, to help absorb moisture, eliminate odors and keep your mattress fresh. This was particularly important for me and my family. The green tea infusion also prevents mold, while the castor oil helps to stop bacteria from thriving.
The jacquard cover is breathable and washable, which cuts down on the buildup of bacteria from sweat and dead skin cells over time.
According to most of the reviews, I read on Amazon.com, there is minimal off-gassing with the Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress. “Off-gassing” refers to a chemical smell once you unwrap a memory foam mattress from its plastic cover. This smell or gassing is common to all memory foam mattresses kept rolled up for transport. You know when you buy a car and the interior has that “new car smell”, any new memory foam mattress has that “new mattress smell.”
Why Is Mattress Construction So Important?
The layers inside
The 12” queen mattress uses four layers of high-quality foam, all wrapped up in a breathable, knitted jacquard cover.
|Top||3”||Memory Foam||Green tea infused||Toxin free, antibacterial|
|Comfort Layer||2”||Comfort Foam®||Transitional support layer with holes for air circulation||Distributes weight, stops too much sinking.|
|Third Layer||3.5”||Base Layer Two||Air flow high-density foam||Pulls heat away from the body.|
|Fourth Layer||3.5”||Base support layer||Air flow high-density foam||Creates a solid support base.|
Table 1 – Mattress Layers of the Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress
Image supplied courtesy of Zinus.com
It has 3.5” of base support foam, followed by 3.5” of high-density foam, then 2” of comfort foam, then 3” of green tea infused memory foam. The first 7” creates great support and a solid foundation for the next two layers to sit on. The comfort foam then adds a soft and squishy level on which the high-quality memory foam rests. The layers are also designed to increase air circulation. The comfort foam has vertical holes and the two bottom layers have an egg crate design on top, to allow air to circulate in the gaps. All these combined make for a fantastic night’s sleep and no more grumpy mornings!
How much support is provided?
The majority of Zinus Green Tea Mattress reviews that I read when doing my research described the mattress as medium-firm, but several people also described it as firm. The 8” and 10” options are designed for those who prefer a firmer sleeping surface. From everything I researched for this Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review, the mattress is suitable for anyone, whether they be side sleepers, back sleepers or stomach sleepers.
Can you Trust Zinus?
- When it comes to this type of mattress, Zinus has a solid heritage. Twenty years ago they were one of the first companies on the market to start selling compressed and rolled mattresses, and they have sold and shipped millions of products worldwide since then.
- They have their own production facility in China, which is ISO-9001 certified, meaning that it stands up to global standards for quality management.
- Their corporate office and distribution centre is located in Northern California, and they hold over one hundred United States patents for sleep technology innovations.
- They support the affordable housing charity, ‘Habitat for Humanity’ and the Amazon ‘Local Love’ charity program, which I like, as it shows they are giving back to society—at least a bit!
- The Zinus Back To School Scholarship Contest for students awarded a top prize of $10,000 as well as four new laptops to students who entered last year. They also give a 10% discount on their products to students with their ‘Back to School’ program.
Pros and Cons
- Lower in toxins, therefore safer for you and your family, compared to a traditional memory foam mattress.
- Very affordable, so won’t break the bank.
- 30 day return period, in case it doesn’t meet expectations.
- Four layers of foam, for increased support and comfort.
- Comes rolled up small in a box, for ease of transport.
- Minimal off-gassing, so you can use it as soon as it has expanded.
- Four highly engineered layers of foam, giving maximum support and comfort.
- Delivered to your door within 7 business days.
- The green tea infusion helps to keep the mattress fresher for longer.
- Removable jacquard cover for easy washing.
- The mattress is one sided, meaning you can’t flip it over. You can still gets lots of life out of your mattress just by rotating it from top to bottom every time the season changes at a minimum. This will ensure all parts of the mattress gets even wear.
- Not available to try out in a store, but the 30 day return period allows you to test it out at home.
- Reviewers described this mattress as warm, but not hot, so for those looking for a cool bed it may not be ideal.
- Does not come with a one hundred night sleep trial, as some of the competitors do.
- If a defect occurs during the ten year warranty period, the return postage is to be paid by the purchaser.
- The box that it comes in is heavy, you’ll need a friend to help lift it. Best thing to do is to get the delivery guy to take it to the room where you are going to set it up. Here’s the official way to unbox a Zinus mattress-in-a box.
If you prefer a bit of bounce, Zinus also do a range of iCoil spring mattresses, as well as hybrid mattresses that combine springs and memory foam.They also have an impressive range of other bedding, including mattress toppers, if you feel like you need an extra layer.
If you’re looking for something similar, and have some extra money to spend, try an Eve mattress. Check out my review Eve Mattress Reviews – Who Needs Adam When You Have Eve? This bed also uses Certi-PUR certified foam.
Many reviewers mentioned that they also bought their bed base from Zinus to go with their mattress. Zinus offer several heights to choose from, depending on how high you want your sleeping surface to be. There’s no need to change your existing base though, as the mattresses are standard sizes.
If you don’t like the idea of sleeping on a mattress or bedding made with synthetic, man-made materials, check out some more natural alternatives:
- Bamboo Mattress Savvy Shoppers Guide
- Best Organic Mattress Savvy Shoppers Guide
- Best Natural Mattress Savvy Shoppers Guide
- Eco-Friendly Mattress Savvy Shoppers Guide.
I hope you have found my Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review helpful.
After my extensive research, here are the top 3 reasons why I would put the Zinus Green Tea Mattress on my mattress shopping list:
- My favourite thing is the fact that Zinus have gone to great lengths to reduce the number of toxic chemicals that go into the production of a memory foam mattress. This makes for a safer sleep, knowing that we aren’t inhaling as many toxins as are inside a traditional memory foam mattress. We’re already exposed to so many toxins in our day-to day life, we definitely want to cut down our exposure in our homes. The fact that all this is independently tested by CertiPUR-US also brings peace of mind.
- I also like the fact this mattress is very versatile. The Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress suits a variety of bases, so you’re likely to already have one of these in your bedroom. The mattress also has three options of thickness, meaning that whatever mattress type you are used to, they can match it. All three options have ample support, while not being too firm. The 12” would be the right choice for us as we were used to sleeping on a thicker, softer mattress. And the final aspect of its versatility is this Zinus mattress suits all sleeper types – stomach, side and back – according to the reviews I researched online to create this Zinus Memory Foam Mattress review.
- My next favourite feature is the price. There really aren’t any other mattress producers that can match this price-to-quality ratio. The mattress is made in Zinus’ own factory China, which must help to lower the cost. It is then dispatched to you from their distribution centre in California, meaning quick delivery to your door.